History Of Fuengirola
History Of Fuengirola
The town has its causes in Phoenician, Roman, and Arab civilizations. The foothills of the mountain run out of date to the south are the locale of Sohail Castle, which holds remains of an early Phoenician settlement, later possessed by the Romans, which ended up being a town known in times long past as Suel. Suel was distinguished by the Roman antiquarian Pomponius Mela as one of the towns of the coast, and was referred to by Pliny in the 1st century AD as a braced town. A later antiquarian, Ptolemy, distinguished it throughout the 2nd century as being placed in the district of the bastulo-penos or Phoenicians.
The engraving on the platform of a statue discovered close to the mansion says Suel as being a Roman "municipium". A memorial service urn recognized in the same range has an engraving holding the expression "Suelitana". Roman soaks were uncovered in 1961 and, close by, the remains of a Roman villa holding two figures, one of which is regarded as the "Venus of Fuengirola", showed in the town's historical center. An arrangement of building segments, most likely transported from the Mijas quarry throughout the Roman period, were ran across in Los Boliches in 1984; the aforementioned have now been mounted to structure a temple passage, and are on the promenade at Los Boliches. Sohail Castle The mansion was constructed by Abd-ar-Rahman III in the mid-10th century. The city of Suel stopped to be specified at the starting of the Middle Ages. After some hundreds of years, the name of the settlement adapted from Suel to Suhayl, which ended up being the name of the château and surroundings throughout the Moorish time. Suhayl ended up being a honestly hefty settlement, which incorporated farmland and humble villages. A large portion of the encompassing zone appears to have been utilized as pasture for the Moorish rulers' camels. Essayist and researcher Al-Suhayli ("the man from Suhayl") existed there from 1114 to 1185, and later ended up being regarded as one of the seven paragons of piety of Marrakesh. In the early Middle Ages the town was determined to fiery breakout and its tenants fled to Mijas. Suhayl ended up being a hill of vestiges, and even its name was modified to the Romanised Font-Jirola, after the spring coming up at the foot of the château, as per student of history Alonso de Palencia.
In 1485, when just the stronghold remained, the settlement, in addition to the final part of the Kingdom of Granada, fell into the hands of the Christian Monarchs in the last stage of the Reconquista . An endeavor to repopulate the destination with 30 individuals flopped, and in 1511 it was enrolled as uninhabited, separated from the fort and a watchtower. Arrive initially set aside for Fuengirola was reallocated to Mijas. In the 17th century, once the danger from Turkish and Moroccan privateers had vanished, another urban settlement advanced; at the starting of the 18th century, a hotel was opened close to the beach, offering convenience to travelers, muleteers and seafarers. A couple cottages were fabricated adjacent, structuring a modest village.
The Battle of Fuengirola occurred here throughout the Peninsular War, on October 15, 1810, when more or less 200 Polish warriors of the Duchy of Warsaw massacred an intermingled British-Spanish strength numbering by most accounts 3,000 warriors under Lord Blayney. In May 1841, Fuengirola was authoritatively disengaged from Mijas; during that timeframe its tenants were primarily occupied with angling, farming and changing with ships that moored in the straight. For over a century, angling and agribusiness remained the primary exercises.
Written by : Barbara Brough